Monday, January 22, 2007

Teaching is complicated

Am writing this while three groups of students break their heads (all female, by the way) over the project planning exercise I gave them. This is quite fun, actually: talk about something you know much more than them, answer questions and make up tasks that should be challenging to work on in groups.

Well, it is more complex than that. You actually take responsibility for
  1. not wasting their time, this is an evening course and staying in school beyond 9pm better be worth it
  2. not wasting their money, they need to be able to actually use the things they learn later
  3. not teaching them stuff that is plain wrong or does not apply to the subject
Making sure none of this happens is not easy. Even with something as easy as project management for beginners which is what I am teaching this semester.

Makes me wonder, if I should continue the old series of posts about project management principles.

1 comment:

Unknown said...

"Makes me wonder, if I should continue the old series of posts about project management principles."

Yes! :)